Kenya feel the love?

About 9:00 PM local time (8 hours ahead, so about 1pm Towanda Time) we touched down at the Nairobi airport. I sat next to a lady originally from South Africa who had moved to London. She had a brother who had a ranch in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe has been in the news for years due to Robert Mugabe, the tyrannical dictator who's held power there since the early 80s. Robert (Bobby to his closest, non-politically threatening friends) is now 91, and a nutball by all accounts. However, he's somehow remained in power, outliving many of his critics (some of whom might have died of old age were it not for the lead poisoning Mugabe is known to provide)... Must be his passion for the job.

Anyhow, just days ago due to skyrocketing inflation, Mugabe abandon their national currency and adopted the US dollar. Here's what that looks like courtesy The Guardian:

Bank accounts with balances of up to 175 quadrillion Zimbabwean dollars will be paid $5. Those with balances above 175 quadrillion dollars will be paid at an exchange rate of $1 for 35 quadrillion Zimbabwean dollars.

So that's what this lady and I talked about. I haven't taken such long solo trips before, so I spent more time talking to strangers. They've got interesting stories.

My brother was on hand at the airport when I arrived, and had been waiting for hours - he was on a flight arriving earlier in the day. Apparently it's easier to wait in the airport rather than leave and re-gain entry.
The local pharmacy knew how to get me in the door Matt had been in Zambia learning about strawberry farming being used as an income source for orphanages. There's some thought of bringing that and honey farming into Tanzania for orphanages Matt and his church provide support for. The strawberry operations are apparently pretty successful, and actually aiming for global sales. As Matt put it, how neat would it be to tell US donors their money isn't needed at the orphanages any longer -- They're paying their own way. Those donations can go places that aren't self-sustaining.

For now we're hanging out at the Ngong Hills Hotel, where we'll stay until our flight to Mwanza which was supposed to be tomorrow, but may not happen until Tuesday.

The hotel has Wifi and power and is newly built, so our accommodations are swell. We got some breakfast this morning, and I picked up some malaria pills (presumably the preventative kind). Right now it's pouring outside, and I'm thinking it's time for a Sunday nap.