o we got a call back from the realtor today, and apparently the owners of the church are "interested in working with [our] bid." They have to wait for a land appraisal to come back before they respond to our price.
A land appraisal? What? This is one of the criteria we put in our offer - the church used to sit on land with a parsonage, and when they sold the parsonage they split the lot badly.
The back door of the church (that little grey-roofed nub coming off the main wall) was put on some years after the church was built. The property line for the church ends literally at the back wall of the main structure. You're apparently supposed to have a "5 foot easment." So with the back door/outhouse thing and the 5 feet, we need an additional 11 feet of land from the parsonage, which I really don't have any photos of.
So the sellers want to know how much that strip of land will cost them before responding to our offer. This would seem to indicate our offer isn't as ridiculous as has been thought. Which it is, but hey, you offer what it's worth to you and what you can afford.
It took 4 days to get this response, which is definitely not a negative one. How long will it be before we know more? Who knows. If we can get it for what we offered (or close to), then the wait is quite acceptable.
I should mention this is all slightly nerve wracking, and the speed with which Sally & I run for the phone when it rings is truly amazing. If you want to mess with us, just call and hang up at about 1 in the morning.